Thursday, September 17, 2009

gossip girl

This blog is not about the TV show. Though I've seen over a season's worth of episodes and it is quite entertaining. I digress.

I started this blog a year ago and decided to shut it down shortly thereafter because of a venting session. I offended someone who I wasn't even referring to and then my husband got upset at me for writing things that might hurt people. So in a massive tearful breakdown I deleted all my posts (which included a very special one about my Papa) and decided I would not have a blog and then threatened to destroy all of my old journals as well...but I didn't.

Sunday night I was at my friend's church. The pastor spoke about how sometimes when we vent...it is really just gossip. I have been thinking about this a lot over the past several days.
A lot of times I vent to my husband about people in my life and situations. You know you just have to talk things out...every time someone does something to annoy you, offend you, make you mad, etc. And then often I talk to close friends about things my husband does that bothers me. You get the idea. The latter is usually done in the context of if I share about my marriage then that person probably has advice from their own marriage.

So this is a lot to think about. Maybe, we should only be venting to God. Does it really benefit my husband to hear about all my chatterings of what's going on with every one I know. Or, what about my friends who mostly just hear about my husband's faults? Do they think he's a horrible person because I'm mostly talking to them when I'm upset about something? Sometimes I call friends to pray for me because of a situation that is happening that involves me an someone else. But, most times...it's just venting about a situation between me and someone else.

Is it okay to vent sometimes? When is it not okay? Is venting always gossiping if it has to do with yourself too. Like telling about your day? :) Don't get me wrong...other people come up and you talk about them...but it's not always negative.
I just did an online search and found an old boundless article. This article is a deeper message all on it's own with some very good lessons. But, I'm not sure if it answers my questions.

Anyway, I need to think before I speak in any situation. Those who know me personally know that I usually say whatever pops into my head without thinking about the consequences.
I hope this new start to my blog will be able to help people think and help people know we're all weirdos who are alike or not so much alike. But, we all struggle and we all succeed in different areas and at different times.

In college I was in a non fiction magazine writing class...and my professor deemed my work, naive...in a sweet kind of way. In another class my professor wrote on my final portfolio that I needed to look outside of myself and my own experiences...that I needed to be less selfish with my writing. Well, several years have past. I don't know if I've grown as a writer... but I do hope to try. Thanks for reading the 1st post of my NEW (let's try this again) blog. Good night.

1 comment:

Crystal G said...

I have the same problem at times, but I think it would be worse if you let things that bother you build up. I think it's normal to vent, and a good friend will understand and not think anything of it.